NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. – In its season opener, the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth scored early and often to get their first win of the year as the Corsairs' bullpen silenced Worcester State, 10-2, on Tuesday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 10, Worcester State 2
Records: UMass Dartmouth 1-0, Worcester State 0-3
How it Happened
Four Corsairs logged multi-hit outings in their first at-bats of the 2018 campaign, with sophomore leadoff man Nate Tellier (Attleboro, Mass.) to pioneer the offense on a 3-of-5 performance at the plate. The second-year outfielder drove in one and scored one; in addition to notching a walk in his six plate appearances. Senior Kenny Michael (Norwood, Mass.) and sophomore Mitch Baker (Braintree, Mass.) were productive in the fifth and sixth spots of the lineup, as each picked up two base-knocks, scored two, and drove in a run.
After senior Ben Lodge's (Blackstone, Mass.) inning of work to get the ball rolling for the pitching staff, the next four Corsair hurlers combined to pitch eight innings and only allowed two hits, a run, and three walks. Lancer junior Mike Ferrara (Easton, Mass.) tallied a pair of hits and an RBI to pace the Worcester State offense.
After Tellier worked a leadoff walk and advanced to second on junior Chris Wood's (Berkley, Mass.) single through the right side, Tellier came around to score on a sacrifice fly to center by junior Erick Ramirez (Boston, Mass.). The Lancers answered their opponents' run with one of their own, however, as Ferrara doubled to the opposite field to drive in sophomore Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.).
UMass Dartmouth burst for three runs in the fourth frame. After Michael reached second via a balk, Baker lined a double to the gap to help the squad take a 2-1 lead. With the infield back, Baker hustled home for another Corsair run on senior Josh O'Neil's (Halifax, Mass.) groundout to short. Tellier notched another extra-base hit for the visitors, bringing home senior Brandon Polignone (Peabody, Mass.). The winning pitcher, junior Matt Cronin (Framingham, Mass.), maintained the Corsair momentum as he set the Lancers down in order behind two groundouts and a strikeout.
Leading 8-2 heading into the final inning, the Corsairs picked up a pair of insurance runs behind the big swing of senior Mac Curran (Lakeville, Mass.), who turned on a pitch deep to right for a two-run homer.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs avenge their 6-4 loss to Worcester State, which occured on March 30 of last season.
- The pitching staff's 12 punch-outs are its highest since Mar. 25, 2017, when UMass Dartmouth struck out 12 Raiders versus Rivier University (15-3 win).
- UMass Dartmouth's last double-digit run total came on Apr. 29 of last season at Eastern Connecticut (15-2 win).
- Entering the contest with three dingers in his past two seasons, Curran blasted his fourth round-tripper of his career.
- Tellier's three-hit afternoon came just one knock shy of his career-high. Last year, the then-freshman picked up four hits on Mar. 18 (6-0 win) versus William Paterson and Apr. 13 against Western New England (15-9 win).
- Cronin picked up his first win since Mar. 30, 2016, when the Corsairs edged out UMass Boston (12-11 win).
The Corsairs will compete in their first of ten games in Auburndale, Fla. on Friday, Mar. 9 for a 5:15 p.m. clash with Nichols College.