Tufts Escapes With OT Win Over Men's Basketball, 84-82

Tufts Escapes With OT Win Over Men's Basketball, 84-82

Jan. 31, 2012

Final Stats

MEDFORD, MA-Ben Ferris made two free throws with six seconds remaining in overtime to lift host Tufts to an 84-82 victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth men's basketball team in a non-conference game at Cousens Gym Tuesday evening.

Ferris stole the ball, drew a foul and connected twice from the free throw line to break an 82-82 tie. The Corsairs got as final possession, but senior guard Paul Rose (Boston, MA/North Cambridge Catholic HS/Mass Bay CC) missed a jump shot as time expired.

Four consecutive free throws by freshman forward Alex Rodrigues (Fall River, MA/Durfee HS) and senior guard Alex Klepadlo (Bernardston, MA/Pioneer Valley Regional HS) staked the Corsairs to an 82-78 lead with two minutes remaining in overtime. But Kwame Firempong made a jumper with 44 seconds remaining, and Ferris was fouled and hit two free throws to tie the game with 10 seconds left.

The Corsairs took a 37-35 halftime lead on a layup by senior center Justin Pulver (Plymouth, MA/Falmouth HS/Johnson & Wales) with 23 seconds left in the first half. Tufts came back, and took a 74-73 lead when Scott Anderson made one of two free throws with 1:18 remaining in regulation time. Rose grabbed an offensive rebound as time expired in regulation time, was fouled and made one of two free throws to send the game to the extra period.

Senior center Lance Greene (Dorchester, MA/Charlestown HS/UMass Lowell) led UMass Dartmouth with 21 points, Rose added 19, Rodrigues had 12 and Klepadlo added 10. Anderson led Tufts with 19; Firempong added 17 and Ferris contributed 11. Greene had 12 rebounds for a double double, but Tufts out rebounded UMD, 43-32 and made 20 of 27 shots from the free throw line to 14 of 20 for the Corsairs.

"We played hard, but we were unable to close this one out," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Brian Baptiste. "We led for the majority of the game, but we missed some shots at the foul line that would have enabled us to go up by five or six points and given us a chance to seal it. We got contributions from a lot of different people, and we had a chance to win it but we just couldn't close it out."

The Corsairs dropped to 10-10 with the defeat, while the Jumbos improved to 15-5 with the victory. UMass Dartmouth will return to action when they host Western Connecticut State in the second game of a Little East Conference doubleheader Saturday.