Vikings Cap Rally With OT Winner

Vikings Cap Rally With OT Winner

SALEM, Mass. – Salem State senior Mark Macdonald (Norwell, Mass.) recorded the game-winner just 53 seconds into overtime to overcome a three-goal deficit, edging the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 4-3, this evening in a Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) contest at the Richard H. Rockett Arena.

"Tonight was a frustrating loss to a MASCAC opponent," Head Coach John Rolli said. "We had a glorious chance to go up 3-0 in the first period. Salem State scored in the second period and the wheels began to fall off. With a young squad, we are going to have to grow from these games".

Macdonald delivered the decisive strike on the Vikings (3-2, 2-2 MASCAC) first attempt of the extra session. Seniors Eric Defelice (Chalfront, Pa.) and Kyle Phelan (Barnstable, Mass.) produced a helper on Salem State's third overtime win of the season.

The Corsairs (2-3, 2-2) charged out of the gates, building a two-goal advantage just five minutes, eight seconds into regulation. Junior Shaun Walters (Plymouth, Mich.) cracked the scoring just 50 seconds into the contest. Senior Greg Girtatos (Tyngsboro, Mass.) and sophomore Mike Restuccia (Newburyport, Mass.) were credited with assists on Walter's team-leading fourth of the season. Senior Dmitry Antipin (Novosibirsk, Russia) recorded his second marker of the season to give the visitors the 2-0 lead entering the first intermission.

UMass Dartmouth continued to apply the pressure in the second stanza, outshooting its hosts 14-13.  The Corsairs' effort paid off at the 11-minute, five-second mark, when Girtatos netted his first of the season to give the visitors the 3-0 advantage.  The Vikings responded with two goals in a three-minute span to whittle their deficit to 3-2. Salem State was finally able to solve UMD, when sophomore Andrew Bettencourt (Riverside, R.I.) registered his second marker of the campaign at 15 minutes, 32 seconds. Freshman Alex Minter (Peabody, Mass.) converted on the power-play with less than 90 seconds remaining to cap the second period scoring.

In the third, the Vikings took advantage of a UMass Darmouth defensive breakdown to record the equalizer.  Minter penned his second marker of the contest into his ledger, when two Corsairs collided in the defensive zone.  In a tightly-contested frame, both teams had apparent scores waived off, while the Corsairs  failed to capitalize on a late power-play.

Senior Ben Vandervies (Hanna, Alberta) made 32 saves, including 17 in the first frame, while Ryan Sutliffe (Las Vegas, Nev.) turned aside 25 Corsair attempts to remain unbeaten on the season.

UMass Dartmouth will return to action at 5:35 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 23, when the Corsairs travel to MASCAC foe Westfield State (2-4, 2-1 MASCAC).