SALEM, Mass. – The Vikings registered six-straight goals to snap a three-game skid, resurging in the final two periods to overcome UMass Dartmouth 7-3 in MASCAC action Saturday afternoon at the Rockett Ice Arena.
Score: Salem State 7, UMass Dartmouth 3,
Records: Salem State (2-3-0, 2-2-0 MASCAC) | UMass Dartmouth (3-3-0, 2-2-0 MASCAC)
How it Happened
After a scoreless first period for the Corsairs, Connor Court (Swansea, Ill.) tied the game at one for UMass Dartmouth, potting his second career goal in as many games. Five minutes later, Brandon Berkley (Scottsdale, Ariz.) gave the Corsairs the lead. Berkley took the feed from Casey Shea (Woburn, Mass.) and netted his second goal of the year on the power play.
Shea tallied a goal of his own at 8:03 in the second, converting on a Matt Baldino (Woburn, Mass.) pass to increase the Corsairs lead to 3-1. The two-goal padding wouldn't last long though, as the Vikings kicked off their six-goal streak with an even-handed score by Brandon Wolfe (Granger, Ind.) at 13:48 in the second. Two more scores before the end of the stanza put Salem State in front, and the Vikings slammed the door with three more in the third.
Inside the Numbers
- Junior Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) made 37 stops on the afternoon despite taking the loss.
- Junior Jason Pucciarelli (Newmarket, Ont.) picked up his first win of the 2016-17 campaign after turning aside 21 shots.
- Salem State held the advantage in both shots (44-24) and in face-offs wins (35-25).
- The Corsairs went 2-3 on their power play chances, while the Vikings went 3-6.
- Shea led the UMass Dartmouth offense, firing six shots on top of his two points.
UMass Dartmouth will be back in action on Tuesday, when they trek to Babson Park to meet #11/13-ranked Babson starting at 7 p.m.