WESTFIELD, Mass. – Junior goalkeeper Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) turned aside 35 shots, collecting his second collegiate shutout as the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth defeated Westfield State 2-0 in MASCAC action at Amelia Ice Park Arena on Tuesday evening.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 2, Westfield State 0
Records: UMass Dartmouth (14-8-0, 9-6-0 MASCAC) | Westfield State (9-13-0, 5-11-0 MASCAC)
How it Happened
Michals backstopped the Corsairs through three tightly-contested periods, as the Owls nearly matched the visitors on shots in all three periods. It wasn't until the second frame when junior Brandon Berkley (Scottsdale, Ariz.) broke the scoreless tie eight and a half minutes in. Sophomore Mason Nichols (Oviedo, Fla.) and freshman Jeff Kirkwood (Ithaca, N.Y.) were credited with the helpers.
The game would last as a 1-0 Corsair lead late into the third period. Westfield State pulled goalkeeper Jonathan LoParco (Vaughn, Ont.) in favor of the extra skater with 1:08 left on the clock, but senior Mike Kelly (Stoneham, Mass.) potted the empty net goal to seal the shutout victory for the Corsairs.
Inside the Numbers
- LoParco stopped 37 shots despite taking the loss for Westfield.
- Senior Tanner Zacharewicz (Ludlow, Mass.) was 4-8 in the faceoff circle in his 100th career game in a Corsair sweater.
- Tuesday marks the first Corsair shutout since UMass Dartmouth defeated Southern New Hampshire in the opening round of the 2016 Stove Pipe Tournament on Nov. 28, 2016
- UMass Dartmouth has now swept Westfield State on the regular season, outscoring the Owls 14-6 on the three-game series.
- The Corsairs have now won their 14th game this season, the most since UMass Dartmouth tallied 16 victories in the 2011-12 season.
UMass Dartmouth will head to Salem State as they take on the Vikings as they try to avoid the season sweep on Thursday night. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.