NEW BEDFORD, Mass. – The No. 3 seed University of Massachusetts Dartmouth struggled to find its offensive flow on Saturday night, closing the season and falling to No. 6 seed Westfield State 3-0 in the opening round of the MASCAC Championship at Hetland Arena.
Score: Westfield State 3, UMass Dartmouth 0
Records: Westfield State (11-14-0, 6-12-0 MASCAC) | UMass Dartmouth (17-9-0, 12-6-0 MASCAC)
How it Happened
UMass Dartmouth goalkeeper Drew Michals (Newton, Mass.) stood tall in net despite allowing a pair of goals, turning aside 42 shots on the loss. On the opposite end, Westfield State's Jonathan LoParco (Vaughan, Ont.) collected his first clean-sheet of the season, making 34 saves.
Offensively, junior Lenny Caglianone (Matawan, N.J.) and senior Jackson Leef (Fort Wayne, Ind.) both posted two points for the Owls with a pair of assists each.
After dropping all three regular-season contests to the Corsairs, Westfield State gained lasting control from the opening puck-drop. The Owls dominated the face-off circle 20-5 in the opening frame and were able to score early, when Francois-Xavier Girard (St. Lazare, Que.) found the back of the cage less than four minutes into the period.
The Corsairs closed the gap in second stanza in the face-off category, but the Owls would extend their lead to 2-0 six minutes in. Josh Delezenne (Coral Springs, Fla.) tipped the Aaron Clancy (Quincy, Mass.) shot from the blue line through traffic, redirecting the puck past the unsuspecting Michals.
In the final period, Westfield State played keep-away from the Corsair forwards, and would eventually ice the game with an empty net goal at 1:55 on the game clock.
Inside the Numbers
- Neither team was able to capitalize on the man-advantage, as both teams combined for 0-9 on the power-play.
- Seventeen wins on the season for the Corsairs is the most a UMass Dartmouth team has posted since winning 18 during the 2010-11 season. Twelve MASCAC victories marks the most since that same season, when UMass Dartmouth totaled 13.
- Junior Jerry Laakso (Tampere, Finland), who led the Corsairs with eight shots, finished the regular season with 28 points (5 goals and 23 assists), the ninth-best mark for a defenseman in Corsairs hockey history.
- Senior Tanner Zacharewicz (Ludlow, Mass.), who played in his 104th game in an UMass Dartmouth jersey, finishes his career tied for 10th all-time in games played.
- Westfield State advances to the MASCAC semifinal round and will travel to Salem State on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. start.