WORCESTER, Mass. – Assumption senior Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa.) deposited the golden goal two minutes into overtime, propelling the Greyhounds to a 3-2 triumph over UMass Dartmouth at Buffone Arena on Thursday night.
UMass Dartmouth: 0-2
How it Happened
- The hosts jumped out to a 1-0 lead five and a half minutes into the affair, as junior Brendan Philippon (Salem, N.H.) found the net for the solo score.
- A penalty on Assumption junior John McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa.) at the 8:10 mark awarded the Corsairs their first power play opportunity of the evening, allowing UMass Dartmouth to quickly snatch the goal back and tie things back up. The equalizer arrived after the puck whizzed from senior Jonathan Ruiz (Williamstown, N.J.) over to junior Sean Leonard (Rockaway Park, N.Y.) and finally over to the eventual goal scorer in senior Brendan McDonough (Wilmington, Mass.).
- Just over a minute later, the visitors were awarded another man-up chance as freshman Michael Zampanti (Winthrop, Mass.) was sentenced to the box for high-sticking. The Corsairs rifled off four shots in the span of 46 seconds, including a Mason Nichols (Oviedo, Fla.) try that snapped off of the pipe, until McDonough beat the Greyhound net minder once again - this time off the set up from sophomore Eric Bolden (Oswego, Ill.) to put the Blue and Gold back up ahead by a score of 2-1.
- Halfway through the second stanza, Greyhound senior Matt Demelio (Rochester, N.Y.) lined up a shot for freshman Robert Holyoke (Middleboro, Mass.) to put away for the equalizer.
- Neither squad could find the nylon for the remainder of regulation, forcing overtime.
- Just under two minutes into the extra period, Assumption delivered the back-breaker on a power play when junior Robert Roche (Holden, Mass.) located P. McDonagh for the golden goal, sealing the 3-2 victory.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs converted on both of their man-advantage opportunities in the first period, outshooting the opposition by a margin of 10-5 out of the gate. The Blue and Gold ended the night 2-for-6 on the night on such chances, while Assumption went 1-for-7.
- UMass Dartmouth's McDonough and Ruiz each finished +2.
- Ruiz took a game-high eight shots.
- Corsair senior goalie Tommy Bay (Duluth, Ga.) made 21 saves on the night, while his counterpart David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich.) turned aside 28.
Assumption will square off against Fitchburg State on Saturday at 6:05 p.m. The Corsairs have the week off until its home opener, hosting Salem State at Hetland Arena on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
(Recap By Kyle Diangkinay, Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant)
(Photo Credit: Zack Roy '18)