Hockey Comes Back to Down Stonehill in Overtime

Hockey Comes Back to Down Stonehill in Overtime

Dec. 4, 2010

Final Stats

NEW BEDFORD, MA-Sophomore forward Dan Dempsey (Norwell, MA/Lebanon Valley) picked up a loose puck and blasted a shot past Stonehill junior goaltender Tyler Jackson (Little Silver, NJ/Christian Brothers Academy) 3:05 into sudden death overtime to give the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's hockey team a come from behind, 3-2 victory over visiting Stonehill, in a non-conference game at the Stephan Hetland Memorial Ice Arena Saturday.

Dempsey's goal capped a comeback that saw the Corsairs come back to tie the score and take the lead in the third period, only to see Stonehill tie it and send the game into overtime.

The Skyhawks grabbed a 1-0 first period lead when they were skating with a two-man advantage. Sophomore defenseman Tyler Gordon (Franklin, MA/Xaverian Brothers HS) scored to give Stonehill a 1-0 advantage at the 14:13 mark. Junior forward Patrick Greene (Weymouth, MA/ Catholic Memorial HS) and sophomore defenseman J.J. Sabin (Milton, MA/Milton HS) assisted.

Senior forward Jason Stahl (Londonderry, NH/Valley Jr. Warriors) tied the score at 2:57 of the third period when he stole the puck and fired a shot home. Dempsey gave UMass Dartmouth a 2-1 lead when he scored on a power play, converting passes from Stahl and senior forward Joe Hill (Newburyport, MA/Valley Jr. Warriors) at 12:08. But freshman forward Bryan Rooney (Carlton, MA/Carlton HS) tied it at 14L06 when he re-directed a pass from freshman forward Bill Carey (Weymouth, MA/Catholic Memorial HS) past UMD senior goaltender Collin Tracy (Medford, MA/Medford HS) from point-blank range, setting the stage for Dempsey's game-winner in overtime.

"It was a game effort by Stonehill, considering that this was their fifth game in a row on the road and their third game this week," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. "They dominated the first period, we played a little better in the second period, and Jason Stahl picked us up with the tying goal. The power play goal by Dan Dempsey was huge, and we tried to ride it out, but they made a great goal mouth play to tie it up. The winning goal was a goal-scorer's goal. It was good for us to have to come from behind to win. This is the first time that we've been behind early in the game, and were able to come back."

The Corsairs out shot the Skyhawks, 33-30, including 3-0 in overtime. Tracy made 28 saves for UMD, while Jackson stopped 30 shots for Stonehill.

The Corsairs improved to 6-1-1 with the victory, while the Skyhawks fell to 2-9-0 with the defeat. UMass Dartmouth will return to action when they visit Framingham State Thursday evening. Stonehill will host Southern New Hampshire Tuesday.