Plymouth State Rides Strong Second Half Past Corsairs

Plymouth State Rides Strong Second Half Past Corsairs

DARTMOUTH, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth men's lacrosse team could not overcome a three-goal third quarter by Plymouth State, which carried the Panthers to a 9-7 win in Little East Conference action on Saturday afternoon at Cressy Field.

The Corsairs fall to 3-7 on the season and are still in search for their first conference win, while the Panthers increase their overall record to 7-1 and remain perfect in conference play at 2-0.

UMass Dartmouth received seven goals from seven different student-athletes on the day. Juniors Bo Prozinski (Ashland, Mass.) and Andrew Johnson (Hopkinton, Mass.) each recorded a score and dished out an assist, while Tyler Prentice (Chelmsford, Mass.), Patrick Lucas (Brookfield, Mass.), Sean Peters (Medway, Mass.), DJ Miller (Ashland, Mass.) and Riley Baxter (Groton, Mass.) all cracked the scoring column for the Corsairs.

Colin Claflin (Pembroke, Mass.) led the Plymouth State offensive attack with three goals. CJ Frates (Merrimack, N.H.) and Aaron Boss (Keene, N.H.) each registered a pair of markers, while Ryan Garland (Franklin, Mass.) and Alex Croatti (Brunswick, Maine) also found the back of the cage in the win.

To open the contest, both teams lit up the scoreboard twice to take a 2-2 tie into the second quarter. After Croatti gave the visitors a one goal advantage, Prentice and Prozinski recorded consecutive strikes to swing the lead back over to UMass Dartmouth, 4-3. The Panther once again tied the contest when Garland put home a shot off a feed from teammate Andy Ripley (South Paris, Maine) with 5:55 remaining before the intermission. In the following minute, Prozinksi connected with Peters for a 5-4 lead, however Boss beat the net minder in the final minute of the first half to deadlock the game at five-all.

The third quarter is where Plymouth State produced three consecutive goals to separate itself from the Corsairs. Flaflin produced two goals and Frates one during the offensive run. The Panthers doubled the amount of shot attempts produced by UMass Dartmouth in the quarter and limited the Corsairs to only five shot attempts. Baxter managed to find the back of the net with 45 seconds left in the third to keep the home team within striking distance with only 15 minutes left in regulation.

In the final stanza, Boss added his second goal of the contest early in the fourth to increase the Panther's advantage, 9-6. Miller cut the deficit down to two scores when he registered a man-up goal with just over four minutes left before the final horn. Despite outshooting its opponents 8-5, UMass Dartmouth was unable to close the two score gap.  

Sophomore Matt Lafond (Bridgewater, Mass.) stopped nine shot attempts for the Corsairs, while Chris St. George reached double digits saves and captured his seventh win in net this year for Plymouth State.

UMass Dartmouth will return to action at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 8, when the Corsairs host Mass.-Maritime. The Panthers return to play at 4 p.m. on Wednesday when they travel to New England College.    

Photo Courtesy to Kate Cummings '18