DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth men's lacrosse team took its second consecutive victory on Saturday afternoon, holding off the Vikings of Salem State, and putting them away in the final quarter of action to preserve the 10-8 decision in the Little East Conference opener.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 10, Salem State 8
Records: UMass Dartmouth (5-4, 1-0 LEC) | Salem State (2-6, 0-1 LEC)
How it Happened
UMass Dartmouth opened the scoring just under a minute and a half in, as Tom Donahue (Gloucester, Mass.) took a feed from Donovan Prozinski (Ashland, Mass.) and finished in net for a quick-strike. With 8:51 to go in the opening period, Jordan Torres (New Bedford, Mass.) notched his first of the game, before Prozinski added to the lead to continue the unanswered streak. After the first tally of the game from the Vikings, the Corsairs finished off the opening period with a 4-1 lead Mike Rizzo (Bridgewater, Mass.) netted his tenth marker of the year.
The teams exchanged two goals apiece in the second quarter, as the Corsairs took a 6-3 lead into the locker room for halftime. In the third frame, Salem State controlled the scoring as it operated with a 3-1 advantage in goals with three different players getting on the goal-sheet.
With the momentum on the other side of the field, the Corsairs needed a change of pace and got it at the 10:09 mark of the frame when Donahue posted his second marker of the contest to increase the team's slim lead to 8-6. Salem State's Hunter Spencer (Beverly, Mass.) responded with one of his own before the Corsairs notched back-to-back markers as Rizzo finished off his hat-trick before Torres added to the score with his second of the game.
Inside the Numbers
- The Corsairs have now won three consecutive games to get over .500 for the first time this year. It marks the longest winning streak for the team since April 26-May 3 2016.
- UMass Dartmouth has taken 16 consecutive contests against Salem State improving to 16-0 on the all-time record against the Vikings.
- Rizzo has now tallied goals in seven straight games while recording his second career hat-trick in the victory.
- Torres posted his fifth multi-goal game of the year and now has scored seven in the last three contests.
- Prozinski also logged his fifth multiple marker outing of the season, scoring in three straight games. UMass Dartmouth is undefeated when the sophomore attacker records a goal and an assist.
- The Corsairs improved to 3-0 when Devin Dunn (Chelmsford, Mass.) starts between the pipes. The freshman turned away seven shots in a complete-game effort.
UMass Dartmouth returns to action Wednesday, April 4 in a non-conference road meeting against Becker at 6:30 p.m. Salem State hosts the University of Dallas on April 2 at 3:30 p.m.