DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The Anchorwomen could not stop the Corsair starting frontcourt, as the two forwards each generated double-doubles in the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's 89-55 home victory over Little East Conference (LEC) opponent Rhode Island College.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 89, Rhode Island College 55
Records: UMass Dartmouth (14-3, 8-0 LEC) | Rhode Island College (7-10, 1-7 LEC)
How it Happened
Senior Alicia Kutil (Franklin, Mass.) paced the Corsairs with game-highs in scoring (31) and rebounding (15), posting a double-double alongside her frontcourt mate junior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.). The third-year Corsair poured in 18 points and 11 rebounds, while senior Chelsea Houlihan (Wolcott, Conn.) dished out a game-high six assists. The Rhode Island College sophomore pairing of Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, Mass.) and Ornela Livramento (Pawtucket, R.I.) led the way for the visitors, tallying 11 and 10 points respectively.
After winning the tip, the hosts rode the hot hand of Kutil to jump out to a quick 12-0 advantage. The forward powered through the post throughout the opening period, as she generated 13 points and seven boards in her first eight minutes. The second quarter featured more of the same dominance for Kutil, as she notched her double-double ahead of the intermission. The Corsairs shot well as a unit, making more than half of their shots over the first pair of quarters.
UMass Dartmouth then utilized the pairing of Houlihan and Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) to maintain the Corsair momentum in the in the third quarter, as the guard dished out three more assists on the forward's four buckets. The reserve unit kept its foot on the gas pedal, with point contributions from sophomores LeiAndra Busby (Brockton, Mass.) Soraya Leon (Taunton, Mass.) in the final stanza to continue the Corsairs' consecutive string of conference wins.
Inside the Numbers
- Kutil matches the career-high of 31 points that she set earlier this season, coming on Jan. 10 at Eastern Connecticut (83-75 win).
- For the home frontcourt, Examond sealed her ninth double-double on the season, while Kutil collected her fourth.
- The Corsairs tied their season-high in offensive boards, creating 21 second-chance opportunities.
- UMass Dartmouth eclipsed Rhode Island College in shooting efficiency by a 48.6% to 35.7% margin.
- The hosts also held the rebounding advantage, collecting 55 to the visitors' 23.
Each team continues its LEC schedule on Saturday at 1 p.m.; Rhode Island College will host UMass Boston, while the Corsairs travel to Western Connecticut.