DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Corsair junior Ashley Brown (Fairhaven, Mass.) registered a near triple-double while senior Jess Korzec (West Brookfield, Mass.) tallied 19 points in UMass Dartmouth's 79-65 season opening win over Bridgewater State at the Tripp Athletic Center on Tuesday evening.
How It Happened
- Senior Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) got the inaugural basket of the 2018-19 season off a bounce pass from classmate Danyel Gonzalez (Pawtucket, R.I.) on the right block, beating the defender with a layup off the glass.
- Bridgewater jumped out to a 15-8 lead but it would not hold up as the Blue and Gold quickly erupted for a 17-0 run to snatch a 25-15 advantage toward the end of the opening frame. The squad hit on more than half of its shots in the first 10 minutes (10-19), while buckling down on defense to keep the Bears to 37.5% efficiency.
- The span was highlighted by a fast break layup off the fingertips of Korzec, which was soon followed up by an and-one completion by sophomore Lauren Empey (Middleboro, Mass.).
- Jumpstarted by six quick points from junior Nicole Bostick (Bridgewater, Mass.) to start the third, the Bears began to creep back into the ballgame by bringing the battle to within three.
- The Bears owned the third stanza, outscoring UMass Dartmouth 25-21, with Bostick running her personal point total up to 17.
- UMass Dartmouth limited the Bears to just 5-of-20 (25%) from the field in the final quarter, getting the defensive stops they needed to make its early lead last.
- Up 71-58 with just over three minutes to go, a timely block by Corsair Meagan Donovan (Abington, Mass.) translated into a breakaway layup for Korzec to restore the Corsair lead to 15.
Inside The Numbers
- Korzec led the way in the first half with 13 points on 6-of-10 accuracy. The senior completed her evening with a team-high 19 points on an efficient 60% shooting (9-of-15), adding a pair of assists and two steals to her line.
- Brown was on triple-double watch early as she carried a line of six points, five dimes, and eight boards into the locker room at half time.
- Turnovers hurt both sides in the early going as each side combined for 32 in the first 20 minutes.
- UMass Dartmouth freshman Shaelyn Carreiro (Fall River, Mass.) was solid in her collegiate debut, registering 10 points (4-of-4) and six rebounds, including three on the offensive glass.
The Corsairs are back at it on Saturday at 5:30 p.m., hosting Coast Guard as part of the 2018 Lafrance Hospitality Classic. Bridgewater State will meet with WPI in the Hampton Inn Tip-Off Tournament hosted by the University of New England two hours later.
(Recap By Kyle Diangkinay '19, Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant)
(Photo Credit: Rainier Almonte '19)