Lyons Claw Past Corsairs In OT, 3-2

Lyons Claw Past Corsairs In OT, 3-2

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Wheaton College freshman Katie Peters (Medway, Mass.) produced a pair of goals, including the game-winner six minutes into overtime, to edge the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth field hockey team 3-2 this evening in the nightcap of the inaugural Johnson and Wales (R.I.) Invitational at the Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex.

The turf was tilted in the Corsairs' favor during the opening minutes of the extra session as UMass Dartmouth (0-1) won three penalty corners.  The Lyons (1-0) nearly scored on their first attempt of overtime, but sophomore Elizabeth St. Germaine (Wareham, Mass.) made a tremendous sliding save to perserve the deadlock.  Wheaton would capitalize its next scoring opportunity as Peters tucked the decisive drive inside the upper left corner of the net to hand the Lyons their first win of the season.

Facing a 1-0 halftime deficit, the Corsairs found the back of the net twice in the span of nearly five minutes.  Freshman Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) recorded her first intercollegiate marker off an assist from junior  Jill Levrault (Somerset, Mass.) in the 50th minute.  Junior Ali Ladue (Bridgewater, Mass.) gave UMass Dartmouth its only advantage of the contest, when she slid a shot inside the near post.  Classmate Emily Anderson (Medway, Mass.) was credited with the assist.

Peters started her late heroics with less than three minutes remaining in regulation.  The Medway, Mass. product converted a feed from senior Tracy McCann (Westerly, R.I.) to notch the equalizer and force the extra session.

In her first collegiate start, St. Germaine made one stop, while her counterpart, senior Madison Wolters (Marstons Mills, Mass.) was credited with three stops to earn the victory.

The Corsairs held a slight 8-7 edge in shots, while holding a commanding advantage in penalty corners (13-6).

UMass Dartmouth will return to action tomorrow night at 7 p.m., when the Corsairs square off against Johnson & Wales (0-1).  The Wildcats fell to Salve Regina earlier this evening in the first game of the tournament.

After battling back and forth through a scoreless first half, Wheaton was able to get on the board first when sophomore Darci Bruce (Walpole, Mass.) put in a pass from junior Kelsey Harris (Spencer, Mass.) to give the Lyons the 1-0 advantage at the 33:59 mark.  Wheaton took the one goal lead heading into halftime.


UMass Dartmouth knotted the game in the 50th minute after freshman Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) scored with an assist to junior Jill Levrault (Somerset, Mass.) to make the score 1-1.  The Corsairs took the lead with 16:10 left on the clock when junior Ali Ladue (Bridgewater, Mass.) put slid a shot past the near post for the 2-1 advantage.  Wheaton evened the score with just 2:13 remaining in regulation as Peters tallied a goal with the assist to senior Tracy McCann (Westerly, R.I.), sending the game into overtime tied at 2-2.


In the overtime period, UMass Dartmouth had three penalty corners in the opening minutes but failed to convert and the game remained tied at two.  Wheaton then took the 3-2 victory on Peters' second goal of the game, a shot tucked into the top left corner of the net.


Senior Madison Wolters (Marstons Mills, Mass.) notched three saves in the victory for Wheaton while sophomore Elizabeth St. Germaine (Wareham, Mass.) had one stop in the loss for UMass Dartmouth.