Eastern Connecticut’s Four Second-Half Markers Outdo Field Hockey

Eastern Connecticut’s Four Second-Half Markers Outdo Field Hockey

DARTMOUTH, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth field hockey team dropped a Saturday afternoon contest against the visiting Eastern Connecticut Warriors, surrendering four second-half markers and dropping the Little East Conference (LEC) meeting by a 4-1 final.

The Basics

Score: UMass Dartmouth 1 | Eastern Connecticut 4
Records: UMass Dartmouth (0-3, 0-2 LEC) | Eastern Connecticut (1-2, 1-1 LEC)

How It Happened

After a slow-pace to the first half the teams were deadlocked with neither team gaining an advantage offensively. The tempo changed in the second half when senior Tia LaFrance Boyce (Pawcatuck, Conn.) redirected a shot in front of the net to take a 1-0 lead.

Quickly following the first goal, the visiting Warriors doubled the mark when Katy Jankura (Guildford, Conn.) collected a corner feed, finishing the possession as her sweeping shot stood low to the turf and found a place in the back of the box.

Eastern Connecticut broke the game open moments later as efficient team-play pushed the ball the entire length of the field. The drive was capped off in the circle as sophomore Lindsey McKeon (Chester, Conn.) drew in the keeper on the right of the circle before sending her pass across to sophomore Khiara Valentine (Morristown, N.J.), who finished for her first goal of the year and upped the lead to 3-0.

With twenty minutes left in the match, UMass Dartmouth got on the board to break the scoreless drought. The goal came following a shot by junior Delaney Burns (Wayne, N.J.) but it was Mary Brown (Leicester, Mass.) with the credit as she re-knocked down a thigh-high ball, scoring her first marker of the season.

The Corsairs had a chance to cut into the lead further as Burns took on a pair of defenders in open field, breaking into the circle before being fouled by the Warriors' keeper. Burns was awarded a penalty chance, but her shot to the left side was pushed away to maintain the 3-1 score.

After freshman Heather Sholtes (Bethel, Conn.) netted her team's fourth goal of the game, the Warriors drained the remaining seven minutes of play en route to their first LEC victory of the season.

Inside the Numbers

  • Eastern Connecticut State held a large advantage in the shot column, taking the majority of attempts in each stanza and controlling the final total 25-9.
  • UMass senior Allison Burke (Franklin, Mass.) played the complete 70 minutes in net, making 12 saves in the contest. In opposition, Maddie LaRusso (Enfield, Conn.) stopped four and earned her first victory of the season.
  • Burns led Corsair attackers putting two shots on net, and picking up an assist. Brown, senior Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) and junior Ciara Anderson (Medway, Mass.) added one shot each.
  • The loss marks just the second time since 2005 that the Corsairs have fallen to the Warriors in field hockey. The all-time record is now 15-5.

Up Next

The Corsairs continue their brief home stand on Tuesday night as they welcome the cougars of Clark University for non-conference action starting at 7 p.m. Eastern Connecticut faces its fourth-straight road game at Wesleyan on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.