GORHAM, Maine – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth field hockey team took on its fourth-consecutive Little East Conference opponent, dropping the road contest with Southern Maine by a 2-1 final on Saturday afternoon.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 1, Southern Maine 2
Records: UMass Dartmouth (3-5, 2-4 LEC) | Southern Maine (4-6, 3-3 LEC)
How it Happened
The Huskies jumped on the board in the 11th minute of the game following a corner opportunity as Maggie Redman (Alfred, Maine) redirected a shot from Tayla Smedberg (Oxford, Maine) to find the cage on her second marker of the year for the lone goal in the first half.
Following the intermission, Southern Maine applied pressure to the defense of UMass Dartmouth, taking five corners in a five-minute span. In the 42nd minute, the strong check resulted in another score, but this time it was Smedberg on the deflection to pick up her third goal of the season in the process.
With the 2-0 deficit, UMass Dartmouth got its first and only marker of the game, as senior Haley Donahay (Cranston, R.I.) came into the play after serving a pass on a corner opportunity, sprawling out to get a stick on a shot from Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.), and picking up her first of the season on the deflection.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth controlled the shot total by a 9-7 mark.
- Donahay led the Corsairs with four shots in the midst of picking up her fifth career goal while Kish added two. Three others finished with a shot in the loss.
- Senior goalkeeper Allison Burke (Franklin, Mass.) logged a complete-game effort between the pipes, making all three of her team's saves.
- Southern Maine had a 7-6 lead in corner chances with five of those coming in the final stanza.
- The Huskies have claimed the last three meetings with the Corsairs since 2015, and improve their overall record to 15-16-2 with UMass Dartmouth.
UMass Dartmouth continues its home stand on Tuesday when it takes on Mount Ida for a non-conference match at 7:00 P.M. Southern Maine has a quick layover before returning to action on Monday at 3:30 PM against Bowdoin.