DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Senior Leah Douty's (Framingham, Mass.) four-goal season debut highlighted six Corsairs with multi-goal performances, as the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth women's lacrosse team earned their first victory of the season Sunday when it downed Mass. Maritime at Cressy Field, 17-6.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 17, Mass. Maritime 6
Records: UMass Dartmouth 1-1, 0-0 LEC | Mass. Maritime 0-1, 0-0 MASCAC
How it Happened
UMass Dartmouth was clicking early, taking a 4-0 lead in the opening ten minutes as sophomore Gabby Giangrande (Westbrook, Mass.) and senior Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) deposited a pair of goals each. The Corsairs took a 23-4 advantage on the shot total during the opening period with Julia DiPillo (Medway, Mass.) and Douty taking part in the flurry, scoring two and four goals respectively to close the period with a 13-3 lead in favor of the host.
The Corsairs momentum spilled into the first 15 minutes of the second half when DiPillo put in her third marker of the contest to respark the scoring. Moments later, sophomore Joria Todd (Upton, Mass.) and senior Kasey Hayes (Medway, Mass.) joined their teammates with multiple goals, reaching the mark for the first time in their careers as they rattled off three unaswered tallies to give the Corsairs the 17-3 lead.
The Buccaneers cut the gap before the end of regulation, scoring three unanswered goals from the sticks of Casey Sullivan (Sagamore Beach, Mass.), Anna Deely (Millis, Mass.), and Stephanie Hunt (Brookfield, Conn.) for the final score.
Inside the Numbers
- 17 goals are the highest output from the Corsairs since taking a 17-6 victory over Curry last season on March 23rd.
- The Corsairs 10 goal first-half marked the first time since April 19th 2016.
- Douty attained her first multi-goal outing of the season after accomplishing the feat ten times during the 2016-17 campaign.
- Sam Muir (Sturbridge, Mass.) dished out a career-high four assists and Hayes nabbed her first multi-goal outing while Todd scored her first two collegiate markers.
- The Corsairs commanded the shot total 30-11 in the game, taking a 23-4 lead at the conclusion of the first half.
- UMass Dartmouth only took 20+ shots in a half twice last season, with both instances coming on the backend of the spring schedule on April 27th & 29th.
- The Corsairs have outscored the Buccaneers 67-28 with a 4-0 record since 2012.
UMass Dartmouth hit the road on March 6th at 3 p.m. to take on Wellesley in the first game of the season away from Cressy Field. Mass. Maritime visit Becker on March 7th at 4 p.m.