DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Senior Leah Douty (Framingham, Mass.) registered 100th career goal as part of career-best eight-goal outing in the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's 20-9 triumph over Fitchburg State at Cressy Field on Wednesday night.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 20, Fitchburg State 9
Records: UMass Dartmouth 6-3, Fitchburg State 5-3
How it Happened
Four Corsairs shined with multi-goal performances, including three hat-tricks. In addition to Douty's game-high eight, classmates Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) racked up four while Julia DiPillo (Medway, Mass.) connected on three occasions. DiPillo also set up three goals for teammates, notching a career-best six points in her performance.
The Blue and Gold grabbed the quick 1-0 lead as sophomore Joria Todd (Upton, Mass.) netted her third goal of the season at the 26:49 mark of the opening period. Just 14 ticks later, the Falcons flew down field for the equalizer by senior Carrie Long (Foxborough, Mass.), who took the team lead in scoring with the score. Each side exchanged runs of multiple-goal spans, as the advantage see-sawed thrice in the initial twenty minutes of action. The Corsairs finished the stanza strong with a goal every two minutes for five unanswered, powered largely in part by three from Douty.
UMass Dartmouth went on a 5-1 extended run to put the score at 15-8, forcing the Falcons to call a timeout to discuss. During the scoring blitz, senior Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) tallied two of her three goals while freshman Mackenzie Smith (New Bedford, Mass.) and sophomore Sam Muir (Sturbridge, Mass.) each snuck scores between the posts. Douty went solo for her 33rd goal of the season with 8:40 on the clock, and then achieved the milestone feat with exactly 7:00 to go as her shot beat Fitchburg junior goalie Marguerite Belcher (Quincy, Mass.) and found the nylon.
Inside the Numbers
- Douty's previous personal-best for most goals scored in a single contest occurred twice this season, as she netted six on Mar. 6 against Wellesley and then once more on Mar. 29 vs. Salem State. In addition to putting all of her shots on goal, the senior did not commit a single turnover.
- The dual-sport student-athlete currently sits second in the conference in goals scored (34), just two behind the leader. Douty is also tied for the most points in the league (44).
- With the victory, the squad moves to .500 all-time against the Falcons as each squad has won five battles.
- The Blue and Gold erupted for a season-high 20 goals and spent scored economically, netting ten in each half.
- It is the squad's highest-scoring performance since Apr. 19, 2016 versus Rhode Island College (22-9 win).
- UMass Dartmouth picked up a season-high 32 ground balls on the evening, their most since Apr. 27 of last season versus the Anchorwomen when they scooped up 44 (14-2 win).
- The Corsairs have racked up 130 total goals on nine games this season, putting up 10+ in eight contests. Last season, the team finished with nine such performances.
UMass Dartmouth gets back into Little East Conference action with a 1 p.m. affair against Southern Maine, returning to the Cressy turf.
VIDEO: Leah Douty Nets #100!