WORCESTER, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth offense was limited to a season-low six goals in its battle against Worcester State, losing the non-conference contest by a score of 10-6 on Tuesday evening at Coughlin Field.
Score: Worcester State 10, UMass Dartmouth 6
Records: Worcester State (6-5) | UMass Dartmouth (7-4)
How it Happened
The Lancers jumped out to a three-goal lead in the opening 14 minutes of the affair, with Kelly Austin (Brimfield, Mass.) scoring on one and assisting on another. After a brief marker by senior Erin Kish (Littleton, Mass.) off the feed from classmate Julia DiPillo (Medway, Mass.), Worcester State came right back for another trifecta of unanswered scores.
UMass Dartmouth doubled its offensive output from the first half with four total in the second half, but the Lancer lead was far too large to overcome. While the hosts had their goal amount matched in the latter frame, their work in the first half was enough of a cushion to afford the deadlock despite two more scores by Kish.
Inside the Numbers
- While UMass Dartmouth suffered the loss, the squad outshot Worcester State 39-23.
- With three goals tonight, Kish posted her third straight hat trick of the year. The senior now sits at 96 career goals, with an opportunity to reach the 100-goal milestone in the coming contest(s).
- DiPillo registered three points via one goal and two assists.
- Brooke Martel (Haverhill, Mass.) collected a game-high seven ground balls.
- Raquel Riley (Wakefield, Mass.) led the Corsairs in draws with five.
- UMass Dartmouth held the advantage in ground balls (34-21), draws (10-8), and caused turnovers (10-9).
UMass Dartmouth stays on the road and will head to Keene State on Saturday for a 1 p.m. Little East Conference matchup.