DARTMOUTH, Mass. – UMass Dartmouth dominated the pace of play on Wednesday evening, snapping seven-game winless streak by firing of 36 shots with 14 on goal, cruising to a 3-0 shutout of Eastern Nazarene at Cressy Field.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 3, Eastern Nazarene 0
Records: UMass Dartmouth 3-7-2 | Eastern Nazarene 3-8-0
How it Happened
From the opening whistle, the Corsairs put on a passing show and found numerous quality opportunities at net. Eight and a half minutes in, senior Erica Farias (Tiverton, R.I) struck again from long distance, driving a ball from 20 yards out on the right side to just skim over the hands of Lion goalkeeper Anastasia Swift (Morrisville, Vt.).
Farias' team-leading fifth goal highlighted a first half of 23 Corsair shots, with 11 reaching goal. Swift kept her team's deficit at just one through the opening frame, stopping 10 of UMass Dartmouth's tries.
The second half saw the Corsairs then connect for two more quick tallies to put the game soundly out of reach. A minute and a half into the frame, junior Abby Silva (Fall River, Mass.) collected a header from junior Alyssa Martins (Ludlow, Mass.) right in front of the net, putting enough on the shot to trickle past Swift. Capping the evening was senior Lucy Jensen (Boxborough, Mass.), who registered her first goal of the season off a rebound from a Talia D'Ambruoso (Warwick, R.I.) free kick.
Inside the Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth's eight cumulative points, 36 shots and 14 total shots on goal were all season game-highs for the Corsairs.
- Martins' assist marks the first point on the defender's three-year career as a Corsair.
- Eastern Nazarene was able to put four shots on UMass Dartmouth, including two on goal from Katherine Lawrence (Marlborough, Conn.)
- Corsair junior Madison Boucher (Southampton, Mass.) took the complete-game win, sealing the shutout with a diving stop on a Lawrence shot in the second half. Boucher made three total saves on the game.
- Jensen's goal marked the 10th on her career and the first since her sophomore season in 2014.
- ENC's Swift totaled 11 saves in the full 90 minutes between the pipes.
UMass Dartmouth stays at home on Saturday, looking to pick up its first win in Little East Conference play as it hosts UMass Boston at 1 p.m. Eastern Nazarene will welcome Gordon on Saturday for a 5:30 p.m. start.