PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth earned its second victory of the season, and its first on the road, as freshman Alexis Pacheco (Swansea, Mass.) lifted the Corsairs in extra-time to top Plymouth State 1-0 in the Little East Conference opener.
Score: UMass Dartmouth 1, Plymouth State 0 (OT)
Records: UMass Dartmouth (2-4, 1-0 LEC) | Plymouth State (2-3, 0-1 LEC)
How it Happened
The Corsairs entered the game with energetic play, putting a pair of shots on target in the early-going, but Panthers' keeper Leandra Nault (Goffstown, N.H.) was up to the task, keeping the score knotted at 0-0.
The visiting Corsairs put three more shots on target in the opening 45 minutes but were unable to break through on the scoreboard.
The tide shifted in the second-half as the Panthers began to apply their own pressure, slightly outshooting the Corsairs 6-4, with three of those shots coming in the opening five minutes of the stanza.
The teams each had one last opportunity before time expired, but the goaltenders of each team continued the scoreless trend to end regulation.
With 90-minutes played and still zeros on the scoreboard, the game was forced into extra time where it was quickly decided when Pacheco moved the ball into the attacking zone before booting an unassisted golden-goal, her second goal of the season.
By the Numbers
- Today's match was the second of the season to reach overtime. With the win, the Corsairs move to 2-0 in such contests, with Pacheco sealing the game on both occasions.
- UMass Dartmouth controlled the shot-margin by a 10-8 clip, outshooting the opponent 5-1 in the first half.
- Junior Courtney Hewitt (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Pacheco led the attack, taking three shots apiece while freshman Nicole Lento (Hudson, Mass.) unleashed twice toward the net. Plymouth State's Mallory Lloyd (Hartland, V.T.) had a game-high four shots.
- Freshman net minder Madison Boucher (Southampton, Mass.) played the entire game between the pipes for the Corsairs, stopping five shots, and improving her season record to 2-1.
- The Corsairs improve their all-time record with the Panthers to 8-17-4 since 1990.
UMass Dartmouth travel to Eastern Connecticut State on Saturday September 23rd for a 1:00 LEC matchup.