UMass Dartmouth Athletic Department

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)



What do I need to do to play a varsity sport?


All athletes must be cleared by the Sports Medicine Department as well as be cleared by the department’s compliance officer. For more information and links to the forms necessary to be cleared by Sports Medicine, follow this link:

Once you have received clearance from Sports Medicine you need to meet with the compliance officer to complete a set of NCAA and UMass Dartmouth Athletic Department forms. For more information on compliance issues contact Jim Mullins at x6930 or via email at



How can I contact a coach?


Coaches have offices in the Tripp Center but some are part-time while others are full-time staff members with other administrative duties. The best way to reach is via email or phone and leave a message.  Mail boxes are also available in the Main Office, Room 204 of the Tripp Athletic Center.  Check the staff directory on the web page at

or follow the link to the sport in which you’re interested.



Do you offer athletic scholarships?


UMass Dartmouth is an NCAA Div. III school and does not offer athletic-based financial aid or scholarships.  All students receive financial aid based on the institution’s financial aid formula.



What is the difference between a varsity team and a club team at UMass Dartmouth?


Sports with varsity status are required to follow university, board of trustee and NCAA rules and regulations. Rosters sizes, budgets and the operation of the teams is closely monitored for compliance.  Title IX factors are also involved in the mix of sports offered as well as the addition of new sports. To start a new club team, contact the Division of Student Affairs at



Why do students pay an Athletic Fee?


All of the athletic facilities and most of the services offered through the Athletic Department are available to the campus community at no extra charge.  The Athletic Fee provides the bulk of the funding necessary to run the Athletic Department. The fee does not just cover the varsity sport budgets, but it also pays for facility maintenance, use of the gym and the pool and fitness center as well as intramurals. The fee also pays for the instructional programs and instructors sponsored by the Fitness Center.



Can anyone use the athletic facilities and how can a group use the athletic facilities.


Students, faculty staff and alumni may use the athletic facilities with either UMass Pass or UMass Dartmouth alumni identification card.

Check facility schedules on for availability of the gym, pool and fitness center. All of the varsity team schedules are also listed on the website on the particular team’s web page. During the academic year, contact the Athletic Facilities Office (508-999-8732) and to request the availability of a particular facility.  Proper insurance must be documented. From commencement in the Spring until early August, Campus Services  (508-999-8143) books field and facility rentals for summer groups and camps.



Where do I sign up for Intramurals?


Registration for Intramurals takes place in the Intramural Office with Jerry Jennings. For more information call him at (508-999-9255) or  email ( or go to the intramural pages on the website located at



Where do I park for an event at the Tripp Center?


Limited parking is available in and around the Tripp Center. Visitors should park on either Ring Road near the Athletic Center or park in lot 7. Visiting teams should be dropped off near the Tripp Athletic Center but busses should not park near the building



How much does it cost to get into a game?


There is no charge for UMass Dartmouth students or staff to attend any on campus athletic events. Just show a UMass Pass for your free admission. Faculty staff and alumni also receive free admission to all athletic events including football, ice hockey and basketball games. General admission for the public for football and basketball is $5 for adults and $3 for seniors and students. Children under 12 are admitted at no cost.



What time is the pool open for public swimming?


Open swim schedules are posted online each week based on the availability of the student lifeguards. Here is the website schedule which is updated each week:

The pool is a very popular facility, used by the athletic teams along with rental arrangements with area schools and organizations. Attempts are made each week to provide a variety of hours of public swim time. Swimmers need to bring an ID and can change in the locker rooms in the Tripp Center. Pool access is available from both the men’s and women’s locker rooms.