Men's Soccer Tops UMass Boston, 4-3

Men's Soccer Tops UMass Boston, 4-3

BOSTON, MA-The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's men's soccer team scored twice late in the second half and came from behind to defeat host UMass Boston, 4-3, in a Little East Conference match at the Clark Athletic Center Field Saturday.

The Corsairs, who played with 11 men to 10 after the Beacons' Victor Hugo Costa was issued a red card and sent off barely five minutes into the game, got scores from sophomore midfielder Jordan Sindo (New Bedford, MA/New Bedford HS) in the 72nd minute and sophomore midfielder John Macaroco (New Bedford, MA/New Bedford HS) in the 76th minute to earn the victory.

Sindo headed home a cross from freshman forward Alief Solomon (Framingham, MA/Framingham HS), then set up Macaroco's goal with his own cross that Macaroco headed home.

The match was scoreless at halftime. Junior midfielder Antony dos Santos (New Bedford, MA/New Bedford HS) put UMD ahead in the 47th minute when he scored off a corner kick. Brycen Dowd tied the score for the Beacons in the 63rd minute, but Ferreira scored at 64:12 to put UMD ahead, 2-1. Dowd and Alejandro Lazalde scored less than two minutes apart to make it 3-2, UMB before the Corsairs rallied.

"We got away with one," said UMass Dartmouth Assistant Coach Brian Medeiros. "We were a little tired after our game the other night, and you have to credit UMass Boston, they played very well even though they were down a man for most of the game. Our guys showed a lot of character coming back to win."

The Corsairs outshot by the Beacons, 20-13. Senior goalkeeper Mike Phelan (Carver, MA/Carver HS)and Jon Doucette (Boxford, MA/Masconomet HS) combined to make six saves for UMD, while Bryce Menard made four for UMass Boston.

UMass Dartmouth improved to 8-3-0 and 4-0-0 in the LEC with the victory, while the Beacons dropped to 3-7-2 and 0-4-0 in LEC action with the defeat. The Corsairs will return to action when they visit Mass Maritime next Thursday.